Discover how to design a remote company from the ground up. In today’s episode, we chat with John Bernatovicz and Bridgette Klein about how they’ve designed their remote company, Willory, from the ground up.
How to Design a Remote Company From the Ground UP
Craft Remote Company Values
The first thing you need to do, is to Design Your Values to Support a Remote Only Company. In order to do this, design a company that focuses on Generosity. A remote company that values generosity creates connection and employee well-being. In addition to the value of generosity, what other values will be extremely critical inside your remote company?
Clearly Define Success
Equally important, Design Your Company to clearly define and measure success. measure its success on how people feel every day. To define success, ask yourself these questions.
- How do your managers make each employee feel?
- Does each colleague make the other colleagues feel welcomed, invited, wanted?
- How the purpose of the business makes each employee feel?
Get Clear on Remote Company Culture
Design Your Company to Make a Family First Environment:
In order to create the company culture that you want to create, consider these tips.
- If someone is going through something, ask how can I help you?
- How can I take something off your plate?
- Be generous in trying to make everyone successful.
Design for Full Accountability
Because of the remote atmosphere, leader struggle to create full accountability. Here are ideas to develop full accountability inside your meetings.
- Create a system of meetings and check-ins that holds people accountable to their greatness.
- In order for you to be great at what you do, you need to be personally accountable and manage that yourself.
- Be open to collaboration and communication from peers, colleagues, clients, and the founder.
- Create scheduled, brief meetings that are standard across departments.
- Schedule Weekly “Standup” calls to discuss important business topics.
- Have firm-wide meetings Monday mornings
- Have a Staffing call on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Set an agenda and make sure everybody’s there.
- Cross-functional meetings force people to collaborate.
- Schedule monthly team training to get people together.
- Have monthly lunches.
- Have meetings at the end of the day that brings everyone’s family into the call
Create an Excellent Remote Company Philosophy
Create a Philosophy for Culture and Leadership
One of their philosophies is “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.”
- Encourage your teammates to get together off-campus!
- Bring everyone together for a book group, then have a facilitator challenge your employees to develop new skills in their personal and professional life.
- Follow the data so you can follow up with employees to support them in their work.
- Become more empathetic and make sure to connect with what everyone on the team is going through…it leads directly to profitability!
Online Courses for Remote Leaders:
Check out these online courses for remote leaders from the Team Anywhere Team.
Remote Company Quotes:
Rate, Review and Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
If you loved this podcast episode, please consider rating and reviewing our show! This helps us support more leaders, just like you, move toward leading the teams they have and thrive from anywhere. Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode.
Also if you haven’t done so already, you can subscribe to the podcast so you never miss out on one of our new releases! Subscribe now!
Links Mentioned in this Episode