A leader’s role to gain influence from team members, clients, and other people with their words is challenging. Using powerful questions to foster more engagement is a skill set leaders are more actively using. However, providing the correct answers to the questions asked is most often overlooked.
In today’s episode we interview Brian Glibkowski, PhD, Answer Intelligence (AQ)™ Creator, and author of the book, Answer Intelligence: Raise Your AQ. Today’s topic is focused on creating influence and effective communication among team members using the AQ Framework as they Team Anywhere.
A Dive Into Brian’s Book – Answer Intelligence
Brian’s book discusses the importance of Answer Intelligence. According to him, AQ is an ability that can be developed and improved upon. If cognitive intelligence and emotional intelligence is the shaft of a spear that provides direction and force, answer intelligence provides the cutting edge.
In the world where leaders are focused on asking powerful questions, Brian’s idea of focusing on providing correct and sound answers is the key to influencing team members in an organization.
The AQ Framework: The Six Answer Types
Brian explains that in the AQ Framework there are six (6) possible answer types. Theseare grouped into pairs to address the what, why, how, when and where of a situation.
- Concepts and Metaphors – These answer the “What” question types which are declarative in nature.
- Theories and Stories – These answer the “Why” question types which are designed to answer cause and effect relationships.
- Procedures and Actions – These answer the “How” question types which are designed to answer specific step-by-step processes or directions. Based on the diagram below, these also answer the “When” and “Where” question types.
Figure 1.0 The AQ Framework (Source: raiseyouraq.com, Brian Glibkowski, PhD)
Important Tips in Using the AQ Framework
The AQ Framework has a lot of applications. It is a powerful tool to use in leadership, coaching, and sales. Brian gave two (2) important tips for providing sound answers.
- Understanding the Context of the Question – This involves recognizing the question type itself and the non-verbal cues provided by the one who is asking. With this, leaders will be able to adjust their answers because people often do not mean what they say. .
- Asking Follow – Ups – Rephrasing the question to verify the question type and guide the conversation is very crucial in providing a sound answer..
Creating Influence Using the AQ Framework
Leaders can create influence among their team members, clients and potential clients using the AQ Framework. Asking powerful questions often leads to increased employee engagement. However, meaningful influence is created with right and sound intentional answers for the questions raised. Therefore, a leader who can provide high-quality answers to their team members, clients and potential clients will be more successful.
Who is Brian Glibkowsky?
Dr. Brian Glibkowski is passionate about the role of questions and answers in business and society. His journey started with his research on questions. He authored an article on questions that has been recognized by the Association of Human Resource Development as one of ten articles that will shape the 21st century.
His new book is Answer Intelligence: Raise Your AQ. The book introduces a new science of answers that is nominated for a 2022 Prose award for professional and scholarly excellence and the book is shortlisted for The Business Book Awards 2022: Smart Thinking Category. The AQ framework has been adopted by universities, including the Imperial College of London Business School (global top 20). Certified AQ Partners use AQ in ten countries around the world.
- LinkedIn —https://www.linkedin.com/in/glibkowski/
- Website — www.raiseyouraq.com
- Amazon —https://www.amazon.com/Answer-Intelligence-Raise-Your-Aq/dp/1839828730
To learn more about creating influence and effective communication, download this episode now.
Online Courses for Leaders Leading a Team From Anywhere:
Check out these online courses for remote leaders from the Team Anywhere Team.